Smith Lake impounds approximately 21,000 acres with over 500-miles of shore, primarily in Cullman and Winston counties. It is a deep, clear lake with dozens of different feeder streams, winding bays, and sloughs.
Steep bluffs cradle much of the lake, with water depths dropping as deep as 60 or 70 feet just a few yards offshore. Access to the lake is easy from Cullman at I-65 exits 299 and 304.
Activities on the Lake include:
• Fishing for Striped, Spotted, White and Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Bream, Channel Catfish, Flathead Catfish, and Rainbow Trout
• Boating, Tubing, Paddle boarding, Skiing, Jet-skiing, relaxing on the lake.
For a free Smith Lake Book, contact the Cullman Area Chamber of Commerce at 256-734-0454.
Smith Lake Park
• Access Smith Lake for sport fishing, skiing and boating via the park’s
free boat launch
• Features a swimming pool (in season), mini-golf, picnic areas, pavilions.
• 250 RV sites, tent camping, and cabins for rent
• Yearly Memorial Day Celebration; 4th of July Fireworks Show; Labor
Day Events; Sweet Tater Festival
416 Co. Rd. 385, Cullman, AL 35057.
Open year round.
Smith Lake Paddle Boards
• An authorized YOLO Board dealer company
• Offer daily, hourly and weekly rentals on the lake, as well as group and
individual paddle boarding lessons
6160 Co. Rd. 222 Cullman, AL 35057.
Open year round for sales; open April – Oct. for rentals.
Alabama Bass Trail
The Alabama Bass Trail features 13 of Alabama’s premier
bass-fishing lakes and stretches from the mountains of
North Alabama south to the Mobile Delta. The Trail
features Lewis Smith Lake in Cullman, as well as several
other premier bass-fishing lakes.
- The Smith Lake Dam draws an estimate of 25 percent of anglers who are from the Cullman or Walker counties.
- Approximately 1,800 trout are stocked monthly in the tailrace of the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River
- The fish releases provide year round trout fishing opportunities to anglers as a local option.
- To ensure trout survival, the Smith Lake Dam area is furnished with freezing water temperatures that vary between 59 degrees and a high 60s temperature.
- There is a total of 7 access points where those who wish to fish may go, all of which allow for an easy entrance, with Access Point 4 being handicap accessible.